History of the Club

Gweedore United Football Club played at 'An Rannai' in Lunniaghbeag and joined the Gaeltacht League in September of 1977.Our first game, 11/09/77, under the management of Mici Beag was against Dunlewey Celtic. Were triumphant with a 6-2 victory and were againrunners-up in the league. It was third time lucky in 1979/80 when we finally lifted our first peice of silverware in the Gaeltacht League Championship beating Leitir United 6-4 to clinch the title. In 1980/81 season Gweedore United graduated to the Third Division of the Donegal league winning the first game against Lagan Harps 2-1, Frank McGee and Ownie Harkin were the goal scorers. In 1981/82 we finished third in the league and reached the quarter-final of the Ulster Junior Cup.

In 1982/83 Paul McGee took over as manager and we won the Second Division League Championship. In the same season we won the Dunlewey Summer Cup beating Mulroy Celtic 5-3 on penalties.

In 1983/84, now in the First Division we finished fourth and were beaten by Culduff 3-2 in the semi-final of the Ulster Junior Cup. In August 15th 1984 the new pitch at Carrickboyle was opened by Fr.Michael and the first game on the pitch that day was Finn Harps v Derry City in a League of Ireland friendly. the result was 2-0 to Finn Harps and the goalscorers were Con McLaughlin now referee in the Donegal League, and Paul McGee who played for Republic of Ireland.

In 1985/86 Michael Diver was manager. We won the Division One League Championship and also won the Pat Doohan Cup beating the local rivals Gweedore Celtic 2-1. In the same year we reached the Ulster Junior Cup Final where we were defeated by Letterkenny Rovers 1-0.

In 1986/87 Gweedore Utd joined the Ulster Senior League and stayed their till 1987/88 but had no sucess either season.

In 1990/91 we decided to go back to the Donegal League starting in Division Two and had no sucess that season.In 1991/92 John Sheamais took over as manager and we won the Division Two League Championship. In 1992/93 we won the Division One League Championship with Tommy Cassidy as manager.

1993/94 saw us in the Premier Division but we had no luck that year and for the following three seasons we had no team in the Donegal League. In 1997/98 we were back in action again under the management of Eugene (yosser) Coyle and Wille (King) Diver, and joined the Ulster Senior Reserve League. In that season we came up against the local rivals Gweedore Celtic again, beating them 2-0 at Carrickboyle, and 4-2 at Maghergallon.
In 1998/99 we were back in the Donegal League, Division Two but had no sucess that season . In 1999/00 under the guidance of Ownie Harkin with Tom Beag Gillespie as trainer we gained promotion to Division One of the Donegal League. We had no sucess for the following four seasons.

In 2004/05 we got back to successful ways when we won the Division Two League Championship with the distinction of being the Donegal League top scorers with 84 goals in 20 outings - an average of just over four goals a game, and also boast the best record of any team in any division with just 17 goals conceded.
In the same season we introduced a reserve team into Division Two of the Donegal Saturday League and found it successful in the first season even though we collected no silverware.

In 2005/06 it was double celebrations for the club as we lifted two titles
The senior team were crowned Division One League Championships. It turned out to be three horse race between ourselves, Whitestrand Utd and Deele Harps. We clinched the title in the final game of the season when we earned a hard fought point away to Castlefin Celtic.
Under the guidance of Sean Ferry, we also lifted the Division Two Saturday League Title after a three-way play off, with Cranford Utd and Ramelton Mariners. This was a great achievements considering it was only our second season in the Saturday League.

seniorThe 2006/07 season saw us coming into the 30th anniversary of the club. At the outset of the season we were hoping to bring some silverware to the club to mark this special occasion. However, our expectations were exceeded by what turned out be a tremondous season.

That season started very well when we won our first ever Area Shield of the Brian McCormack Sportsman Cup. We beat our beloved rivals Gweedore Celtic 1-0 in the final which was played in Maghergallon. Frank McGee scored what proved to be one of the most cruicial goals of the season when he hit an unstoppable shot from forty yards into the top corner of the Gweedore Celtic net to clinch the shield.

Following our success in the Area Shield, we went on to finish third in the Premier Division of the Donegal League.

In April of this year at Diamond Park, Ballyare we made another piece of history by beating Redcastle Utd 4-1 to claim the Ulster Junior Cup for the very first time in the history of our club. The goalscorers on this special occasion were Michael Barry, Frank McGee(2) and Fionnan Diver.

Social Links

Take Your Pick